La Merced convent
This museum is located in a former convent founded in 1613. During the Spanish Confiscation of the 19th century, it became the property of the regional government, turning into the first provincial secondary education centre in 1843, under the name of Maestro Juan de Ávila. In 1998, the Community Council of Castilla-La Mancha became the owner of the building with the goal of restoring and turning it into a museum.
In addition to its cloisters, the restoration led to the discovery of certain spaces that give witness to its past as a convent, such as a priest burial area, a well, a water and different caves. Its mural paintings are also remarkable.
The bottom floor of the museum is home to paintings, sculptures and decorative art from the 16th through 18th centuries which highlight the building’s time as a convent. The principal attraction on the main floor is an interesting exhibition of Spanish contemporary art. It contains works by artists such as Saura, Chillida, Dalí, Tàpies, Gordillo and García Rodero. In addition, works of art by Ciudad Real artists such as Ángel Andrade or Lizcano Monedero are also on exhibition.
For further information on timetables and fees: Click On This Link
Plazuela de los Mercedarios, s/n
926 254 337 / 34