Ciudad Real is also home to a large number of sculptures along its streets, plazas and gardens, turning it into an outdoor museum. These range from Miguel de Cervantes and the characters of his immortal works, including Don Quixote, Sancho, Dulcinea, Rocinante, Rucio, Crisóstomo… to kings, queens, illustrious soldiers, saints, holy women, scientists, politicians and anonymous women representing everyday life and work in a city with more than seven centuries of history.
Gasset Park, which was inaugurated in 1915, is the space with the most sculptures in the city, where visitors can follow an interesting chronological route from the 1920s up until the current day. Bronze, cement, wood and stone are the materials used for the different sculptures and monuments present among the park’s gardens, rose hedges and streets.
Dolphin’s Fountain (1924), the oldest in the park. Talaverana Fountain (1925), Alegory of Spring (López Salazar, 1925). Newly-weds Cross (1929), Recalls the love story and death of Sancho and Blanca back in the 14th, as a result of the struggles between the villages of Miguelturra and Villa Real. Monument to Gasset (1932, Carrillero Prat and Pinazo Martínez), dedicated to politician Rafael Gasset y Chinchilla who lobbied for the water supply to Ciudad Real and achieved the construction of the reservoir that today bears his name. Library and dovecote (1932, José Arias Rodríguez), Monument to José María de la Fuente (García Coronado, 1934) Monument to José Cruz Prado (attributed to Antonio García Coronado, 1941). Sculpture of Alfredo Calatayud Sauco (Kirico, 2008), Sancho Panza and Rucio (Fernando Mayoral, 1999), Don Quixote and Rocinante (Mayoral, 2004), Don Quixote and Sancho in the centenary elm tree (Francisco Ortega, 2018). Way out from the Park, in Ronda Ciruela, we can find the huge sculpture of the Aztec Quixote (Federico Silva, 1997) and a bit farther, behind the music conservatory, the so-called Rayo (Silva, 2007). Out of the city ring: Queen Isabel the Catholic and Hernán Pérez del Pulgar (both by Guerra del Moral, 2009 and 2010), in the Avenue of the Catholic Monarchs. In the Park of Atocha, Memorial to the Victims of Terrorism (Melado 2007). In the Ave train station, Ares (García Muela, 1991). An old convent’s door located in Ronda Santa María shelters the earliest sculpture in town: Virgen Altagracia (16th century). Entering the city, in front of this door, at Plaza de Santa María, the visitor will encounter the Virgin with Baby Jesus (García Donaire, 1964). In front of the bullring, Homage to Reina Rincón (López Arza 2006). At the Plaza de los Mercedarios, Monument to St. John of Ávila (García Donaire, 1964), and at Plaza de la Merced, The Penitent (Kirico, 2006). The Pyramid Homage to Alarcos (Valentín López, 2009) is located in the street by the same name and also Street lamp and relief dedicated to José Maestro (López Salazar and Mateo Gayá, 1931). Plaza de la Provincia is the site for the Fountain and Reliefs of the For Seasons (Fernando Bendito and García Donaire, 1962). Located in the centre of Plaza del Pilar is Don Quixote (García Donaire, 1967). At Plaza de Cervantes, Monument to Pozuelo de don Gil (López Arza, 2000), Homage to the Woman of La Mancha (Ruiz de la Hermosa, 2006), Monument to Cervantes and reliefs (García Coronado, 1927).
The sculpture of the founder of the village, Alfonso X el sabio, stands out at Plaza Mayor (García Donaire, 1976), where the visitor can also find the Casa del Arco and the Carillon Clock, with the representations of Don Quixote, Sancho and Cervantes (Cándido Valverde, 2005). Back to the Town Hall, Dulcinea (López-Arza, 2015) and Old Town Hall Bell (1999).
The sculptures of El Pandorgo (López Arza, 1999) and Javier Segovia (Céspedes, 1998) are located in the gardens of El Prado. Finally, in the gardens of El Torreón the visitor will encounter the equestrian sculpture of Juan II (Sergio Blanco, 2007).